Tuesday, March 2, 2010

High School Me

Here’s the high school version of me, measuring my way out of a thicket with a pencil and a handful of brushes. It’s obviously a hammy pose because I didn’t know how to paint yet.

I went to high school in Palo Alto, California, before it was the Silicon Valley. I was part of a remarkable 1976 graduating class that included Patrick Coyne, who runs Communication Arts magazine.

I was sort of a dim-witted (I flunked trigonometry) and low-level prankster, known for dumb stunts like drinking the fermentation project in biology class (on a 50 cent dare), and flying cardboard boomerangs around the room when the teachers weren’t looking. I don’t think I fully appreciated the golden goods the teachers were trying to give us until much later.

(Photo by David Gurney).

13 comments:

Super Villain said...

Palo Alto, California? did you ride narrow skateboards and say "rad" all the time, haha!

love the three prong mutton chops, you were the man!!

RAD DUDE!!

Chinami said...

This is really cool. I've wondered what you were like as a high school student. Can we see some of your high school era art as well?r

valerie said...

Freakin' adorable.

Anonymous said...

You mean fermentation projects aren't meant to be drunk???

Bao Pham said...

So awesome!

Evan T said...

I don't have room to mention all the kinds of math I flunked in school. (I drew some great monsters and dinosaurs in the margins though)

I'd love to see what the margins of your math papers looked like!


E.T.
evancthomasart.blogspot.com

Craig Elliott said...

Dude! I grew up in Cupertino and my Grandparents live in Palo Alto. How come I never knew this about you? Very cool. I'd love to know what street you were on.

South bay all the way man....

-Craig
Craig Elliott Gallery

lizziewriter said...

These are the reflections that give us hope for our children -- it is important to remember that so many of the best people were wacky kids. thanks.

A. L. Ryder said...

Must've been something in the water in ol' Palo Alto. :)

Unknown said...

You are great person and I love your art

Ashok said...

What a great story. My daughter is in the Palo Alto school system (junior high) and will be going to Paly. She says "I am an artist" - and so she is. She's not so good at math too. LOL

Thanks for the inspiration/role model for her - you made her day better.

Unknown said...

I graduated from high school in '76 also. It was a great year.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

Michael Damboldt said...

Great story! Good to know you've kept the tradition of the Beret since youth as well!