Friday, February 1, 2013

Your Art Bookshelves

Last week I asked you to send photos of your art bookshelves. Here are some of my favorites. 



Armand Cabrera
Armand's website and blog
Armand is the award-winning landscape painter and concept artist who runs the blog 'Art and Influence.'
He says, "These are the books I continually reference over and over again for information or inspiration on my projects ranging from gallery paintings to production and concept art. These books never fail to get me in the right frame of mind, whether it's philosophy or mechanics." 

Ways with Watercolor (Dover Art Instruction)



Sherry Meidell 
Sherry's website and blog
I am a children's book illustrator and a watercolor painter. 

Painting With Your Artist's Brain: Learn to Paint What You See, Not What You Think You See
Frank Schoonover



Gina Florio 
Gina's blog
I am a TV editor and amateur artist with a great love for all art, but especially concept art. 

An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers



Ezra Suko
Ezra's website 
I am a landscape painter and former soldier who resides in Los Angeles. My work is shown at Tirage Art Gallery. 

Modern Painters, Volume 1 (of 5)



Pablo Lara
Pablo's blog 
Pablo is a paleoartist.

The Art of Open Season




Daniel Marknew, art student:
“I have decided to take art very seriously but can’t afford college, so your books, blog, and suggestions are almost single handedly working as my education.” 
Shaun is a concept artist for animation and video games
Raphael is not a professional artist, just in it for the fun. he studies philosophy and reads a lot. 
John is a signature member of Colored Pencil Society of America and a lifelong student of color and light. 


Darwen and Vally Hennings
"My wife Vally and I have worked since 1970 as freelance science and technical illustrators for a number of text- and trade book publishers on the West Coast, including Wadsworth, Benjamin-Cummings, and Klutz Press. We somehow survived forty years as illustrators without ever developing a web site. We never got rich, but we had a wonderful time working at home together as a team. We are now semi-retired and what art we do is mostly for fun.

"The hands in the background are in a photocopy my daughter and I made playing around at the library when she was still quite small (She is 24 now). My education and youthful interest was in biology, so there are natural history notebooks on my desk as well as favorite art references. The cup was a gift from friends; the cartoon (for a book by Klutz Press) is of my wife and me." 
Adrien Bernard-Reymond 
Adrien's blog
Adrien is a painter and illustrator living in France.


Steve Merryman 
Steve's website
"Steve Merryman is a graphic designer who re-discovered illustration and is now, paradoxically, a baby illustrator over 50."


 
Dan Haycocks


Christian Schlierkamp
Christian is an illustrator and an art historian who lives in Germany....and he has been working with me on a new book on Adolph Menzel, due out this year.

Thanks to all of you for putting my books in such good company. For anyone else who wants to squeeze one of my books on your already-full bookshelves, you can get them from Amazon:
....or directly from me, and I can sign them for you:

7 comments:

Will Terry said...

Wow! That's a great collection of books - drooling! - what a great idea and ton of work to curate James!

JonInFrance said...

"Rendering in Pen and Ink" is pretty popular!

armandcabrera said...

Glad to see along with Jim's other book, The Artists Guide to Sketching, Andrew Loomis is a favorite also.

David King said...

Too bad "The Artist's Guide to Sketching" is out of print. That book sounds like it's right up my alley.

John Kaay said...

What a gold mine! Thanks!

Unknown said...

In every picture there was at least one book I own, if not more!. Such good taste in books.My book collection can't fit in one small photo (I have over two bookcases full and counting). I guess that is my vice.

Pablo Lara said...

Thanks James! I love your books and publications. It´s a great reference for me.