Friday, July 19, 2013

Show Card Writing: Part 2


Show card writing can be done with pens. In fact the Speedball line of pens was invented for show card work.

If you're not familiar with them, Speedball pen nibs are still being made. They are detachable nibs made with a variety of flat, square, round, and oval tips of various sizes for lettering. They fit into a pen holder and dip into black or colored ink. In high school, I lettered a lot of wedding invitations and menus for print shops, so I practically had these nibs attached to my fingertips.


But most of the professional show card writers of the golden age used rigger brushes. These are long sable brushes with round ferrules. Their tips can be flattened out to make a stroke of even width in the pull direction, and a thin stroke when moved sideways. Used properly, this tool can make most of the letterforms with a single stroke. As far as I'm aware, modern rigger brushes aren't the same as the old show card riggers; most of the modern riggers are intended more for painting thin lines.

In show card work, the letters were not outlined and filled in. That would be too slow. Even a hundred years ago, a writer had to produce a lot of work at very low pay rates. "Quantity first," said William Hugh Gordon (though his quality was the best, too).

A rigger is held between the thumb and first finger in such a way that the brush could be rotated during a stroke. That turn of the brush is necessary to make the "Gothic" and "Block" letterforms shown earlier. You can wrap the ferrule with waxed string to improve the grip. The fingertips should be held far down the ferrule—some held it even closer to the brush tip than the example above.

The brush is pulled toward the writer with a movement of the fingers, as Charles Strong demonstrated above in his book. Strong uses a bridge, but other writers balanced their hand on their last two fingers and did away with the hand rest.


Here's a student setup, from Blair.

The paint was water-based and often prepared from dry pigments by the artist. The best white came by grinding white lead—a potentially toxic practice. The binder was mucilage, a plant glue also used as a wallpaper paste, a paper glue, and a gum for envelopes. You can still get that too, but I haven't experimented with it as a paint binder. You can substitute tube gouache and get good results.


There are many vintage books on the subject, and you can get downloads for free from Google Books and Archive.org. Here are some of the titles and authors I would recommend:

Lettering for Commercial Purposes, William Hugh Gordon, 1918
A Show at Sho' Cards, by Atkinson, 1879
Principles and Practice of Show-Card Writing by Blair, 1922.
Druggists' and Dispensers' Practical Show Card Instructor, by W. A. Thompson, 1909
Effective Show-Cards by August Reupke, 1898.
100 Alphabets for the Show Card Writer, 1909.
Sign & Show Card Writing, Chas. Butterworth, 1899.
Modern Show Card Lettering and Design, by Thompson, 1903.
The Art of Show Card Writing by Charles Strong, 1907.
Instructions on Modern Show Card Writing, by J.G. Bissell, 1913
The Practical Phrases of Show Card Writing, St. Louis, 1922.
Fairchild's Rapid Letterer and Show Card Maker, Sidney Hackes, 1910.
How to Write Show CardsA by DeWild, 1922.
A Textbook on Show-Card Writing, International Correspondence

Tomorrow I'll finish up with a little introduction to some of the alphabets
----
Resources on Amazon:
Speedball 10 Pen Nib Assorted Set
Speedball pen holder
Wallpaper mucilage

6 comments:

trowbridge chronicles said...

Thanks for taking on the topic of show card writing, which is unfamiliar to most. You and I started out the same way, as teenage show card writers. That was where my lifetime career as an artist began. Then you and I went to the same art school, the Art Center. Today we are both still following our childhood dreams as artists. I wish that hand lettering weren't a "lost art". Yet I still use it in my work daily.


Jon Berkeley said...

Fascinating, James. There's a nice piece on a fairground painter on the BBC site. I was wondering what he uses for the long lines - it looks more like a flexible strip of something, but it may be a brush...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23313762

Anonymous said...

Here's a brief video tour of the Speedball factory, where the nibs are made the same as that alway have been: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk2c4eoG5OU

MrCachet said...

@Jon B - He's using a Striper. Used by the Guns in the automotive deco business to do pin striping. I wish I had mine back!

David Teter said...

I still have and occasionally use my speedball nibs.
I enjoyed this two part post.

You said "In high school, I lettered a lot of wedding invitations and menus for print shops, so I practically had these nibs attached to my fingertips."

Were you the Edward Scissorhands of pen nibs?

James Bamford said...

It's wild that show card writing was such a big thing but now when I'm reading 'A Show at Sho'Cards' and they mention recommended equipment it's hard to find online. If if weren't for your diagram I don't know if I would have been able to figure out what an automatic shading pen is. I'm very interested to know how rigger brushes were back in the day.

It's a real bummer that I can't order all the supplies for $7.50 as advertised in the book. It' also disappointing that some of these pen companies no longer exist.

I feel like not only the skills and techniques have been lost, but also some of the tools and materials.